Hoka One One has established itself as a popular brand in the running world with its innovative and comfortable running shoes. With a unique design and excellent performance in their running shoes, Hoka One One shoes have quickly become one of the most popular worldwide. Here I bring you the best running shoes from Hoka One One 2023, with their features as well as the pros and cons of each of the models.
11 Best Running Shoes From Hoka One One 2023
Whether you are an experienced runner or a beginner, it is important to find the best running shoes for your needs to have a comfortable and injury-free running experience. Which Hoka should I choose? Let’s dive deeper into the topic and explore the best running shoes from Hoka One One.
1. HOKA One One Clifton 9 – Best for wide feet
Hoka One One Clifton is a popular shoe model known for its cushioning and lightweight design. It is a neutral running shoe designed for road running, and it offers a comfortable and supportive fit for runners.
For runners who prefer a comfortable and cushioned shoe for long-distance road running, the Hoka One One Clifton 9 is a good option. It is also suitable for runners who have wider feet and need a wider toe box. However, runners who need more support or stability or prefer trail running may need to consider other shoe models.
Here are the pros and cons of the Hoka One One Clifton shoe model:
- Cushioning: The shoe offers a high level of cushioning, making it comfortable for runners, especially for those with joint pain or those running long distances.
- Lightweight: The Clifton is lightweight, which helps runners maintain a fast pace without feeling weighed down.
- Durability: The shoe is made from high-quality materials that make it durable and long-lasting.
- Breathability: The shoe has a mesh upper that allows air to circulate and keeps the foot cool and dry during long runs.
- Wide toe box: The Clifton has a wider toe box than most shoes, making it comfortable for runners with wider feet.
- Limited support: The shoe lacks the stability features that some runners may need, especially those with overpronation or flat feet.
- Not suitable for trail running: The Clifton is designed for road running and may not provide enough traction and support for trail running.
- Expensive: The shoe is relatively expensive compared to other running shoe models on the market.
2. HOKA One One Bondi 8 – Best Cushioning
Hoka One One Bondi is the most cushioned among all shoe models from Hoka One One. Bondi is the best running shoe from Hoka One One if you prioritize cushioning and comfort over speed and responsiveness. It is a good option for long-distance runners and those with a history of injury or joint pain.
However, it may not be the best option for runners who prefer a more lightweight and minimalist shoe or those who prioritize speed over comfort.
- Excellent cushioning: The Bondi is well known for its maximum cushioning, making it a great option for runners who prefer a plush feel and comfort during their runs.
- Wide toe box: The shoe model has a wider toe box, allowing for a more natural toe spread, which can help reduce the risk of developing blisters and hot spots.
- Durable: The Bondi is made from high-quality materials, making it durable and able to withstand high mileage.
- Versatile: The shoe is suitable for a variety of running surfaces, including roads, trails and tracks.
- Good for injury prevention: The Bondi shoe model’s cushioning can help absorb shock and reduce impact on joints, which can be beneficial for runners with a history of injuries.
- Heavy: The Bondi is on the heavier side, making it less suitable for higher speed training or competition.
- Lack of responsiveness: The high level of cushioning can make the shoe feel less responsive, which may not be suitable for runners who prefer a more minimalist shoe.
- Price: The Bondi shoe model is on the more expensive side, which may not be suitable for runners on a budget.
3. HOKA One One Arahi 6 – Most stable
The Hoka One Arahi is a popular shoe model for runners who need support and stability. The shoe is best for runners who overpronate and need extra stability and support. It is also a good option for runners who value lightweight shoes and comfort during long runs.
However, runners with flat feet or wider feet may need to consider other shoe models.
- Excellent stability: the Arahi features Hoka One’s J-Frame technology, which is a firm EVA foam that wraps the heel and extends along the inside of the shoe. This design provides excellent stability and support to overpronators, helping to prevent injury and improve overall performance.
- Lightweight: Despite the added stability features, the Arahi is surprisingly lightweight, making it a great option for runners who value speed.
- Comfortable: The Arahi has a soft and plush interior, providing excellent comfort during long runs.
- Durable: The Arahi’s outsole is made from high-quality rubber, making it durable and able to withstand heavy use.
- Not suitable for flat feet: Arahi’s stability features may be too much for runners with flat feet or for those who need a more neutral shoe.
- Expensive: The Arahi is one of Hoka One’s more expensive shoe models, making it less accessible to runners on a budget.
- Narrow fit: Some runners with wider feet may find the Arahi too narrow, leading to discomfort during long runs.
4. HOKA One One Rincon 3 – Most Durable
The Hoka One One Rincon is best suited for runners looking for a lightweight, versatile shoe with responsive cushioning. It may not be the best choice for runners who need a lot of support or traction on wet surfaces.
It’s also worth noting that the shoe’s durability may be a concern for some runners, especially those who cover many miles per week in the same shoes.
- Lightweight: the Rincon is one of the lightest shoes on the market from Hoka One One.
- Responsive cushioning: The shoe features a full-length EVA midsole with Hoka’s signature Meta-Rocker technology, which provides a smooth and responsive ride.
- Breathable: The Rincon has a breathable mesh upper that provides good airflow and keeps the foot cool and comfortable.
- Versatile: The shoe can be used for a variety of activities, including running, walking and cross-training.
- Durability: Some users have reported durability issues with the Rincon, particularly with the outsole, which wears out quickly.
- Outsole may be slippery: The shoe’s outsole may not provide enough traction on wet or slippery surfaces.
- Limited support: The Rincon has a relatively minimal design, which may not provide enough support for runners with specific needs.
5. HOKA One One Mach 5 – Fast with good traction
The Hoka One One Mach is a lightweight and responsive shoe designed for speed. It is best suited for runners looking for a lightweight, responsive shoe that can handle different distances and terrain. It is a good option for runners who prioritize comfort and energy return over support and stability.
It may not be the best choice for runners who need more structure or cushioning to address specific foot or gait issues.
It has a lightweight and breathable upper with a wider forefoot, providing more stability and comfort during long runs. The shoe has a full-length EVA foam midsole with HOKA’s PROFLY technology, which provides excellent shock absorption and energy return.
The outsole is made of durable rubber, which provides excellent traction on a variety of surfaces.
- Lightweight design: the Mach is constructed with lightweight materials that make it easy to wear for extended periods.
- Responsive cushioning: The shoe’s midsole is designed to provide responsive cushioning that helps absorb shock and provide energy return, which can help reduce fatigue during long runs.
- Breathable upper: The Mach’s upper is made from a breathable material that helps keep your feet cool and comfortable, even in hot and humid conditions.
- Good grip: The shoe’s outsole is designed with a multidirectional pattern that provides a good grip on various surfaces, including wet and slippery ones.
- Narrow fit: Some runners may find the Mach too narrow, especially in the toe box, which can cause discomfort or blisters.
- Durability issues: It can also make it more prone to wear and tear over time, especially for runners who run many miles.
- Limited support: The Mach is designed to be a neutral shoe, meaning it doesn’t provide much support or stability for runners with overpronation, for example.
6. HOKA One One Challenger 7 – Best Running Shoes from Hoka One One for Trail Running
The Hoka One One Challenger is the best running shoe from Hoka One One for those who prioritize cushioning, stability and protection for trail running. It is ideal for long-distance runners who need a comfortable and durable shoe that can handle different types of terrain.
The Challenger is also a good option for runners with wider feet or those who need a roomier toe box. However, it may not be the best choice for runners who prioritize speed and agility, as the shoe’s weight and stiffness can inhibit performance in these areas.
- Cushioning: The Challenger features Hoka One One’s signature maximalist cushioning that provides excellent shock absorption and comfort for runners.
- Great grip: The Challenger’s outsole is designed to provide reliable traction on a variety of trail surfaces, including rocks, roots and mud.
- Stability: The shoe’s wide platform and low heel-to-toe drop help provide a stable base for runners, especially on uneven terrain.
- Protection: The Challenger’s upper features a durable mesh material and a toe cap for added protection from rocks and debris on the trail.
- Weight: The Challenger is a relatively heavy shoe, which may not be ideal for runners who prioritize speed and agility.
- Stiffness: Some runners may find the Challenger slightly stiff, especially during the break-in period.
- Breathability: The shoe’s upper is designed to provide protection rather than breathability, which can leave the foot feeling hot and sweaty during longer runs.
7. Hoka One One Carbon X 3 – Best for Marathons
The Hoka One One Carbon X 3 is best suited for long-distance runners who require maximum comfort and support. The shoe’s unique design and carbon fibre plate make it the best Hoka One One running shoe for marathons or those who run ultra-distances.
The shoe may also be suitable for runners recovering from injury or runners who need good cushioning and support. However, it may not be the best choice for runners who need a shoe with a lot of flexibility or for those who run on wet or slippery surfaces.
- Carbon Fiber Plate: The carbon fibre plate that runs through the midsole provides excellent energy return and helps propel the runner forward, making it ideal for longer distances.
- Comfort: The shoe has a wide platform and plush cushioning that provides maximum comfort and reduces the impact of foot strikes during long-distance running.
- Durability: The shoe is made from high-quality materials and is built to last even after prolonged use.
- Lightweight: Despite the thick cushioning, the shoe is relatively lightweight, which helps to reduce stress on the feet and legs.
- Breathable: The upper is made with a breathable mesh that provides adequate ventilation and helps keep your feet cool and dry.
- Price: The Hoka One One Carbon X is relatively expensive compared to other running shoes on the market, making it less accessible to budget-conscious runners.
- It may be slippery on some surfaces: The shoe may not offer enough traction on wet or slippery surfaces, making it less suitable for runners who frequently encounter such conditions.
- Size: Some runners have found the shoe to be narrow, which may not be comfortable for those with wider feet.
- Stiffness: The carbon fibre plate may feel stiff to some runners, especially during the first few runs.
8. Hoka One One Speedgoat 5 – Best for tough terrain
The Hoka One One One Speedgoat is a trail running shoe designed to provide maximum comfort and protection on rough and rocky terrain. The shoe has a wide platform that provides stability and a thick midsole that provides excellent cushioning.
The Hoka One One Speedgoat is best suited for trail runners who prioritize comfort and protection over speed and agility. The shoe’s thick cushioning and supportive design make it an excellent choice for long-distance running on tough terrain, but it may not be the best choice for runners who prefer a more minimalist shoe or who have a small budget for shoe purchases.
- Comfortable: The Speedgoat is a very comfortable shoe that is designed to support the foot over long distances. The shoe’s thick midsole and wide platform help absorb shock and reduce impact, which can help prevent fatigue and injury.
- Durable: The Speedgoat is made from high-quality materials and is designed to withstand the wear and tear of trail running. The shoe’s outsole is made of a durable rubber that provides excellent traction on a variety of surfaces.
- Supportive: The Speedgoat provides excellent foot and ankle support, which can help prevent injuries. The shoe’s wide platform and thick midsole help to stabilize the foot and reduce the risk of twisting the ankle.
- Lightweight: Despite the thick cushioning, the Speedgoat is a relatively lightweight shoe, which can help runners maintain their speed and agility on the trail.
- Expensive: The Speedgoat is a premium running shoe that comes with a high price tag. This can make it difficult for some runners to justify the cost, especially if they are on a tight budget.
- Bulky: The Speedgoat’s thick midsole and wide platform can make it feel bulky and unwieldy for some runners, especially those who prefer a more minimalist shoe.
- Limited breathability: Some runners may find that the Speedgoat’s upper does not provide enough breathability, which can lead to feet overheating and sweating.
9. Hoka One One M Kawana – Best for overpronation
The Hoka One One M Kawana is the best Running Shoes from Hoka One for runners who have problems with overpronation or who need extra support during their runs. However, it may not be the best choice for runners who prioritize lightweight or highly breathable shoes.
- Excellent cushioning: The Hoka One One M Kawana is known for its cushioned midsole that helps absorb shock and reduce impact during your run.
- Good stability: The shoe’s design provides a stable platform, which helps prevent overpronation and reduces the risk of injury.
- Durable: The shoe is made from high-quality materials, making it long-lasting even with regular use.
- Good grip: The shoe’s outsole provides a good grip, making it ideal for running on different terrains.
- Comfortable fit: The shoe is designed to be comfortable and secure, meaning it is unlikely to cause blisters or other discomfort.
- Heavy: The Hoka One One M Kawana is relatively heavy.
- Limited breathability: Some runners may find the shoe does not provide sufficient breathability, which can result in sweaty or uncomfortable feet.
10. Hoka One One Rocket X 2 – Best for Elite Runners and Races
The Hoka One One Rocket X 2 is best suited for runners looking for a lightweight, highly responsive shoe for racing and speed training. While it may not be the best choice for runners with stability or overpronation issues, it is a great option for those who prioritize speed and efficiency in their training.
- Lightweight: The Rocket X is one of the lightest shoes in the Hoka One One range, making it ideal for runners looking for a shoe that won’t weigh them down.
- Responsive: The shoe’s midsole is highly responsive, meaning it returns energy to the runner with every step.
- Comfortable: The shoe’s upper is made of a breathable mesh material that adapts to the foot, providing a comfortable fit for long runs.
- Great grip: The Rocket X’s outsole is designed with rubber pods that provide excellent traction on a variety of surfaces, including wet or slippery conditions.
- Limited support: The shoe is designed for speed, so it doesn’t provide as much support as some other models. This may make it less suitable for runners with stability or overpronation issues.
- Narrow fit: Some runners have reported that the shoe has a narrow fit, which can be uncomfortable for those with wider feet.
- Price: The Rocket X is a premium shoe model, which is also reflected in the price.
11. Hoka Mach X – Best new running shoes from Hoka One One 2023
The world of running shoes is ever-evolving, with each model promising better performance than the last. HOKA, known for its innovative designs and high-quality materials, recently introduced its latest marvel – the HOKA Mach X.
Evolving from its previous versions, the Mach X is a pinnacle of refined design, catering to both avid racers and enthusiastic trainers.
- Advanced Design: HOKA has utilized insights from earlier Mach series, offering an enhanced and faster version with the Mach X.
- Quality Cushioning: With a stack height of 39 mm, the shoe boasts of high-resilient PEBA foam and HOKA’s signature EVA foam, ensuring maximum comfort during long runs and workouts.
- Enhanced Responsiveness: The propulsive Pebax® plate, sandwiched in the midsole, ensures an efficient energy return with every step.
- Durability: The premium Durabrasion rubber outsole is not just lightweight but also durable, ensuring extended shoe life.
- Eco-Friendly: Parts of the Mach X are made from recycled materials, marking a step towards sustainability.
- Versatility: Equally effective for race day as well as speedwork, this shoe is perfect for a wide range of activities.
- Comfort Features: The recycled creel jacquard upper is not just lightweight and breathable, but the gusseted upper construction also offers a snug fit, reducing tongue migration.
- Weight: At 9.4 oz, some might find it slightly heavier than their preferred lightweight running shoes.
- Price: Given the high-end features, the Mach X might come at a premium price point, potentially making it less accessible for some.
- Specific Design: With neutral support, it might not cater to runners who need more specific foot support, like pronation control.
Here I brought you the best running shoes from Hoka One One 2023 and the pros and cons that each model offers. Hope you find the model that suits your running best!
Why Hoka One One Has Become Such a Popular Running Shoe Brand
HOKA One One was the fastest-growing running shoe brand in 2022. What has made the brand so popular? According to the New York Times, there are several factors at play:
- Trend Adoption: The brand benefited from the “ugly shoe” trend during the pandemic and has been recognized for its unique design, especially its bulbous sole.
- Diverse Appeal: Hoka shoes have been embraced not just by runners but also by celebrities, fashion enthusiasts, and older individuals seeking comfort. This broad appeal has contributed to its widespread acceptance.
- Functional Design: Originating in the French Alps, the shoe was designed with an oversized sole to assist runners in descending steep terrains. This functional design was inspired by technologies used in powder skis, mountain bike wheels, and tennis rackets.
- Word-of-Mouth: The brand’s growth was significantly driven by word-of-mouth, especially among older and injured individuals who vouched for the shoe’s comfort and utility.
- Consistent Growth: Despite the pandemic’s influence on comfort trends, Hoka’s growth trajectory predates Covid. The brand has witnessed substantial sales growth, with Hoka sales growing by 90 per cent in a recent quarter, and it broke the billion-dollar mark in sales in 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hoka One One Running Shoes 2023
Which Hoka One One running shoe is best for you depends on several factors, such as your running style, foot shape and desired level of cushioning. Some popular options are the Clifton, Bondi and Challenger models. It is recommended to try different models and sizes to find the best fit for your needs.
It is recommended that you choose half a size bigger than you usually wear because Hoka One One shoes are slightly tight. You should also check the brand’s size chart for accurate sizing information, as sizes may vary slightly between models.
The “best” Hoka One One shoe depends on individual preferences and needs. However, the brand is known for its high level of cushioning, comfort and support, making it a popular choice among runners. Above, I have outlined different Hoka One One shoe models and their pros and cons.
Hoka One One running shoes are sold by a variety of retailers both online and in store, including Hoka’s own website. Hoka One One shoes are some of the most accessible of all running shoes on the market worldwide.
Hoka One One shoes are known for their unique design that prioritizes cushioning and support while maintaining a lightweight feel. The brand is popular with runners and athletes who prioritize comfort and performance in their shoes.
Overall, Hoka One One running shoes have received positive reviews and are considered good quality and comfortable for running. However, it is important to find the right fit and model for your individual needs to ensure maximum comfort and performance.